Senior Project Officer Iraq Climate, Environment, Peace and Security
PAX is the largest peace organization in the Netherlands. For the past 75 years, we have been working with local partners in conflict areas worldwide to protect civilians. Against violence of war, towards ending armed conflict and building inclusive peace. If you also believe that everyone has the right to a dignified life in a peaceful society, come work with us!
PAX's Humanitarian Disarmament, Business Conflict & Human Rights team works to address the impact of war on protection of civilians through the use of banned and controversial weapons, and the environmental harm caused by military activities. Our work in based on research-based advocacy and collaboration with local partners to highlight concerns and call for action, accountability and justice.
PAX is looking for a new Senior Project Officer Iraq Climate, Environment, Peace and Security (CEPS) for 36 hours per week!
For PAX’s office in Iraq we are recruiting a Senior Project Officer to manage the Climate, Environment, Peace and Security (CEPS) project in-country through building up our network, engaging with local and international partners and developing research and advocacy project stands. The project is carried out by a consortium of 3 organisations (PAX, the American University of Suleymaniyah and Clingendael) and seeks to strengthen the role of affected communities in collective environmental and climate action in Iraq. The project will assess conflict-linked damages and cascading impacts of climate change, to build grass-root networks, and conduct research-based advocacy on different levels. The project will start on the 1st of January 2024 with a duration of 3 years.
What will you do?
As Senior Project Officer you are part of the team Humanitarian Disarmament and you will closely cooperate with the two consortium partners and the PAX country office in Iraq. The Senior Project Officer will be responsible for the overall implementation of the project in Iraq, including in country project coordination, planning, monitoring, reporting, as well as implementing project activities such as public campaigning and advocacy. We are looking for an enthusiastic and driven person with a passion for environmental protection and working with communities.
What will your tasks and responsibilities be?
In-country Project Planning:
- You are responsible for building-up a network in Iraq of relevant stakeholders from high-level decision makers to grass-root activists;
- Coordinate country-wide research and advocacy on environment and climate projects in collaboration with local groups and diverse actors;
- Organizing workshops, campaigns and trainings on environmental research;
- Regular updates for project partners, and liaison with Utrecht and New York office;
- Support project monitoring and arranging an end of project evaluation;
- Ensure planning and coordination between the two consortium partners, the country office and the different PAX and external experts contributing to the project;
- Relationship management with government and international bodies in Iraq is an important part of the work and requires experience and initiative to ensure smooth collaboration;
- Develop research and advocacy ideas on climate, environment and peace;
- Assist in setting up research, training and advocacy in Iraq in collaboration with partners and external experts;
- Set-up collaboration with artists and storytellers on environment and climate projects;
- Coordination with relevant other actors active on environment and climate in Iraq and internationally.
Managing project activities such as:
- Organising advocacy events together with Iraqi communities and partners;
- Organising and facilitating learning and exchange events with Iraqi communities and academia;
- External and internal communication in Iraq about the project with media, civil society and international organisations.
Functie-eisen en profiel
Who are we looking for?
- Academic degree in a relevant field of international relations, environmental studies;
- Knowledge of/experience on environmental policies and climate;
- Minimum of 6 years proven project management skills and experience;
- Experience working with Iraq-based international organisations or Iraqi civil society organisations;
- Commitment to climate actions and environmental peacebuilding in Iraq, preferably experience with working with affected communities;
- Ability to interact with people from different backgrounds, from policy makers to local communities;
- Attention to detail and able to work responsibly under pressure, individually as well as in a team;
- Accuracy with regard to deadlines and other project responsibilities;
- Working proficiency of Arabic and English including excellent writing skills, Kurdish (Sorani / Kurmanci) is an advantage;
- Proficiency in standard Microsoft Office applications such as Teams, Excel etc.;
- Authorised to travel in the Kurdistan Regional Government and Iraq;
- Affinity with PAX’s mission and values.
What do we offer?
- An interesting position in a dynamic, informal and internationally oriented work environment;
- Start date as soon as possible;
- Appointment for 36 hours per week (1 fte), initially for 12 months with prospects of extension;
- Location of the Senior Project Officer is in Iraq. Depending on the residence of the Senior Project Officer, a duty station will be assigned;
- Salary depending on years of experience min. $1.900 until max. $2.200 gross for 36 hours per week;
- We encourage in particular women to apply for this position.
Informeren en solliciteren
Procedure and information
For more information about PAX see: www.paxvoorvrede.nl.
Do you have any questions? Please contact Wim Zwijnenburg, Project Lead Humanitarian Disarmament, via email@example.com for further information including a project summary.
Interested candidates are requested to submit their CV and motivation letter addressed to Wim Zwijnenburg solely by using the following application form.
The closing date for applications to this position is Tuesday 12 December 2023.
The first round of interviews will be scheduled for the week of 18 December.
At PAX we are looking for motivated colleagues with passion and courage, to build a diverse, inclusive and authentic working environment together. Even if you do not tick all the boxes, we still encourage you to apply, because who knows, we might be a good match together!
Acquisition in response to this advertisement is not appreciated.