Project Leader and MEAL advisor ‘Power of Voices programme African Activists for Climate Justice’
||08 apr 2021
||22 apr 2021
Climate Justice movements have the power and space to voice their demands for sustainable, climate resilient and fair economies. The unit is responsible for allying, support and campaign with and ensuring Oxfam (Novib) is contributing to and part of a strong and inclusive climate justice movement. We will work with southern civil society, allies, partners and movements, especially women, youth and food producers and their communities, working on climate justice and their agenda so they have the power to influence local, national, and international decision-makers through presenting alternatives and claiming space for their issues. We will develop programs and campaigns based on southern led agenda’s, while working with global and Dutch actors and audiences ensuring connections between them.
Oxfam will be implementing the Dutch MoFa funded programme African Climate Justice (PACJA). Oxfam Novib is one of the consortium members of a consortium being led by the Panafrican Climate Justice Alliance and complemented by FEMNET, Natural Justice and African Youth Commission. These five organizations have come together to help strengthen an African movement for climate justice, amplifying the voice of Africans who are at the frontline of the climate crisis -with a focus on supporting women, youth and local communities- to call on governments and the private sector to act on the climate crisis and ensure the rights of all people to live a decent and dignified life in a healthy environment are met.
This position leads on the programme implementation for Oxfam covering 6 African countries, the pan African programme and the Hague and reports the programme management unit (PMU) housed by PACJA for 50% of the role. This position is also leads on the MEAL for Oxfam, working with MEAL officers in national plans, for 45% of the role. This position has the overall responsibility for a multi-million Euro programme.
For this position you need to have experience on climate justice and empowerment through improving rights and movement building. You are organized and can deliver a project with high standards. You are experienced in working in consortia. This will involve a great deal of coordination and problem solving. Therefore you need excellent cross cultural communication skills.
- Ensure the realization of agreed programme outcomes and targets as defined for Oxfam. You will achieve this by monitoring the progress and quality of the programme, identifying problems and risks, opportunities and exceptions, and you will think of solutions, you are accountable for the budget;
- Responsible for monitoring and reporting: you monitor the substantive and financial progress and reporting to the programme management unit housed by PACJA on behalf of Oxfam according to their requirements, coordinate the production of financial reports and audits on behalf of Oxfam;
- Functionally manage – within the boundaries of the programme – specific programme staff working in the programme;
- Prepare, coordinate and plan with all project partners (annual) plans and budgets, progress reports (narrative and finance), audits, MEAL, reviews and evaluation;
- responsible for supporting the development of MEAL plans by PACJA and implementing of MEAL plan methodologies in line with the programme by Oxfam;
- Support and train co-applicants to implement MEAL methodologies and tools;
- Ensure with programme stakeholders MEAL elements are in place such as data collection in real time, establishing a base line, ensuring gender- and age disaggregated data are gathered where possible and support the development of tools and processes to aid data collection;
- responsible for collating indicator totals, data (cleaning, querying, analysis), synthesizing and analyzing the data to facilitate reporting;
- Contribute to the process of the yearly reviews and the final evaluation;
- enable downward accountability to target groups and beneficiaries by sharing the learnings with them at regular intervals;
- Support the development and implementation of a learning agenda relevant for the programme and ensure learning are disseminated via tools such as shared digital platforms and webinars.
Functie-eisen en profiel
- Masters degree in a relevant field required;
- Understanding of movement building, campaigning and influencing at national and global level and how they link;
- Understanding of the international climate policy debates, including the nexus of climate finance, climate resilience, climate impacts on food production and/ or deforestation and/ or land use from an economic social justice perspective is an asset;
- Proven analytical, strategic planning, project design, project cycle and financial management skills;
- Sound understanding of monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning (MEAL) principles and practice ;
- Proven people management skills, with experience in managing multi-disciplinary teams, supporting and coaching individuals from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds;
- Strong communication and influencing skills, with proven ability to build relationships with a diverse range of local, national and global stakeholders;
- Have experience raising funds from international donor agencies;
- knowledge of web-based platforms and applications and how they can be used for MEAL are an advantage;
- knowledge on how to translate gendered differences in interests and possibilities in MEAL frameworks and tools;
- Have a results-oriented approach;
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, prioritize, meet deadlines, and hold self and others to account;
- Willingness to travel regularly;
- Fluency in English, both verbal and written; ability to work in French or Spanish can be an asset
- You can demonstrate experience in managing complex international projects/programs;
- Experience of working with partners and with establishing partnerships with international/ national/local actors;
- Proven experience in representing an organization at the level of partners, administration, ministries and donors at senior level;
- Applicants must be a National of a European Union member State or have a valid work permit for the European Union and possess travel permits.
- You will be working in the GREEN unit of Oxfam Novib’s Office in The Hague.
- The culture of our team is a value we highly appreciate. The team is highly involved in our international ambition to be part of a worldwide influencing network, including through working with others.
- Oxfam Novib is committed to providing you with a competitive, fair and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors.
- This position is classified in scale 10. The gross salary range is between € 3.245,- to € 4.994,- on the basis of 36 hours per week.
- The position will be based in The Hague, The Netherlands.
Informeren en solliciteren
If you are interested, please upload your application via this link, no later than April 22nd, 2021. For more information about the position, you can contact Gerard Steehouwer (gerard.Steehouwer@oxfamnovib.nl) . Applications received by email will not be processed. Applicants for this contract must be Dutch nationals or nationals of a European Union member State or have a valid work permit for the European Union. For more information see: www.oxfamnovib.nl and facebook.